Wednesday, April 6, 2011

In a Funk

I wish I had some great news to tell. I wish I had something inspiring to say. I wish I had a running report. But, I have none of these things. Apparently, I am in a running funk. I WANT to get out there and run my arse off, but I have no motivation. I get home in the mornings, take the kids to school and am just too exhausted to get myself back out the door. When I started this insanity back in July I would go out at 3 am. Yes, for real. I work third shift, so 3am is when I took my "lunch". I didn't have to deal with people on the track pointing and laughing...er...being in the way, so it was perfect. When I started running longer distances and wanted to get away from running in circles, traffic was minimal and all I had to worry about was my officers jumping out and scaring me. But, now I work by myself most nights, so I don't get a lunch break. And when I do, it's been too cold to get out. Now, instead of being conditioned to get out every day, I am sunk into the funk. Yuck. I have my first race the end of this month and am nowhere near ready for it. It's only a little over a mile, but it might as well be marathon. I don't know why this has become so daunting to me; why something I enjoy has become something I can't get into. I read all of these race reports from my friends or other bloggers and get pumped. Then I get home and it fizzles. I've bought books on how to coach myself and how to run better and faster and smarter, but I find myself distracted when I start to read them. I want to be excited to run again. I want my body to start getting antsy as 3am approaches because it knows that freedom is near. But here I sit; sunk in my funk and not sure how to get out.

1 comment:

  1. i can totally relate to the funk feeling...and i have yet to figure out how to pull myself out of it.

    hope your stay in funky town is short! ;)

    ReplyDelete