Sunday, December 19, 2010

I Get Knocked Down...But I Get Up Again

Are you singing the song in your head? I am. It has kind of become my theme song. I've told you about how when I decided to get my act together that I kept running into obstacles. Then, I'd try to start again and hit another obstacle. Well, here I am again. I had a slight run-in with the treadmill two weeks ago. We fought. The treadmill won. It was very sad. All joking aside, I thought I had merely scraped up my leg and I would be back on it in no time. Well, as my leg has healed, I noticed my back hurting. A lot. It has gotten to the point where I can't even bend over and touch my toes. (For those that know me well, you know I am incredibly flexible; to the point where I can bend over BACKWARDS and touch my toes.) Well, it turns out I have done something to my sciatic nerve. From what I hear, there is really nothing that can be done to fix it. However, I am going to see if there isn't a least a way to alleviate some of the pain so I can continue running. I am going to contact the chiropractor and see what he says.

My point in this is; even though I am hurting I WILL get back up. I WILL continue on. If my doctor tells me no more running, I will find something else to do. But, I am hoping that won't be the case. I figure if people can have back surgery and complete a marathon a year later, I can overcome sciatic nerve pain. I WILL find a way. Giving up and giving in is not an option. That's not to say there won't be days I will want to give up. When those days happen, I hope I have people there to help me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment